So we’ve been on tenterhooks all week but it’s happening and the UK Government have announced school closures. For many of us this can seem like a scary prospect. Whilst it is going to be wonderful spending extra time with our little ones, there is undoubtedly going to be a little bit of stress and worry given the current uncertain situation we find ourselves in! Personally I feel the pressure as I want to ensure my little ones still receive the education and stimulation they require to develop their little minds, but also to take advantage of this extra time at home and make lots of fun and happy memories.
I am mindful of having a good mix of activities planned, and hopefully the weather will help us to be able to get out in the garden (we’ve already bought some seeds ready to plant some vegetables!). And of course we all need a little quiet time as well! Truth be told I am a bit of a screen time Hitler Mum and regulate how much TV and iPads are watched in our house. There is definitely a need and a time and place for them, just not all the time. However given the uncertain times and the possibility of having to self isolate I think now more than ever is the time and place for some screen time (I never thought I’d be saying this!). With advanced technology we are so lucky to still be able to have social interaction via a bit of screen time, be it via Facetime, Skype or Zoom with family and friends, or joining in an online activity.
I’ve put together a few online resources that may help in the coming weeks and months. Some are free resources and others are paid classes or sessions.
If any one has any that feel could be added then let me know!
- Use Facetime, Skype or Zoom to keep in contact with family and friends
- Tumble Tots – are running a free daily video at 10am on their Facebook Page.
- Little Learners have a Daily Live via Social Media with different activities to try at home.
- PE with Joe Wicks. Mon-Fridays 9am Live on YouTube. Check out The Body Coach TV
- World Book Online are offering over 3000 children’s ebooks and audiobooks available for free.
- Free Virtual Tours of World Museums, Educational Sites and Galleries for Children.
- Wind in the Willows West End Products is available to stream online for free
- Olive Jeffers will be reading one of his books as a bedtime story every night at 6pm live on I.G
- Enchanting Story Book Parties have a variety of Live Sessions from Q&A with the Snow Queen, to Lantern making with Rapunzel and Story Time with a mermaid Princess.
- Rebecca Rogerson is teaching English and Literacy via Zoom. Check out details on her website.
- Kidslingo is offering online French and Spanish classes for kids
- Fizz Pop Science Taunton and Exeter will be doing some free online sessions (and weekly paid sessions)
- Moo Music Carmarthenshire and Moo Music Epsom and Ewell will be doing online sessions, daily activities and Mum meet ups.
- Lingotot Gravesend are offering live online language classes. (There are other franchises so also check out the main LingoTot page)
- Online weaning and fussy eater classes by Happy Tums.
- Baby College has some great online courses covering ages 0-4 years.
- Little Groovers are running online sessions if you want to have some fun making music.
- Beanstalk Arts have a new musical story everyday at 10:30
- Showcase Dance & Stage have a range of virtual adult and children’s dance classes available
- Dixie Dot Crafts have great Foam Clay, Button Art and Pottery kits to do at home.
- iBalance Yoga are offering some yoga sessions including one for all the family
- Hermione Rose, Parties have some great online craft kits with online workshops.
- Ballet Basics are offering online ballet classes for beginners, adults and kids.
- Autism Championswill be doing 1:1 parent sessions, video sessions with kids, webinars and group sessions.
- Mama Tribe have put together a timetable of free classes for entertaining kids and adults.
Of course we have a few online resources that are going to help keep parents out there sane in these crazy times!
- The lovely Davina Mcall has offered free 30 day membership to her fitness and well being site!
- Wanting to burn off some energy? Check out a complimentary workout from EMpower Fitness Coaching
- Join the Chick Lit and Prosecco Facebook group where you can enjoy writers sharing their stories and poems to cheer us up!
- Mini First Aid online course for parents wanting to learn first aid for babies and children.
- Join the Jo McMeechan Pilates and Wellbeing Facebook group for Online Pilates and Wellbeing sessions
- Jules Daniels – Bridal UK is offering 1-2-1 video call makeup lessons.